Finding A Licensed/Professional Touch Therapist

For now, our focus is in North Carolina.  Please be patient for information for outside our state lines.

look before you book logo

How do you find a legitimate, Licensed Massage & Bodywork Therapist (LMBT) in North Carolina?

Look for a license number. All LMBTs are required by law to use their license number in any advertising they do. It should be easy to find on their website. If it is a group practice or spa, the website and advertising must say “Provided by North Carolina Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapists”. If you do not see a license number listed on the website, it is perfectly okay to call and ask for a therapist’s LMBT number before you schedule a massage.

All LMBTs are also required to display their North Carolina License in their place of practice. You can verify all licenses by name or license number and discover if there are any rule violations on the License Verification page on the North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy website.

If there is ever a question about misconduct with a Licensed Massage & Bodywork Therapist, you can report it to the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy.

How Do You Find a Professional Reflexologist in North Carolina?

Currently, there are no laws governing the practice of Reflexology in the state of North Carolina.   Because of this, all you need to open a reflexology practice is a business license from the state. This loophole makes it easy for traffickers to use this modality as a front for their criminal activity.

While our massage board is currently working to change this,   it is  important for you as a consumer to know how to find legitimate providers.
There are professional associations guiding the practice of reflexology, which all have standards for professional members. The North Carolina Reflexology Association (NCRA) and the Reflexology Association of America (RAA) have requirements for their membership. All association members must have completed a reflexology-only course of at least 300 hours, with at least 160 of those hours completed live in a classroom, which must be provided via documentation to the associations with the membership applications.

The American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB) provides the designation of National Board Certified Reflexologist (NBCR), which can be obtained by successfully passing a 300-questionexam, submitting documents proving performance of 90 treatment sessions, and completing a hands-on practical exam. Those holding this title must also complete 24 hours of approved continuing education biennially.

Some professionals choose to designate their status by using post nominal letters after their names. Those designations are CR (Certified Reflexologist) and NBCR (Nationally Board Certified Reflexologist)

You can search for professional members in your area using these links:

North Carolina Reflexology Association
Reflexology Association of America
American Reflexology Certification Board

What About  Other  Types of  Energy Work?

Traditional Eastern Medicine operates under the premise that the human body has energetic pathways running throughout it. Energy Work is a blanket term for any therapy that creates subtle changes in our energy field, which extends beyond the body, guiding recipients to regain balance and heal their bodies. Often based in ancient healing traditions, energy work generally focuses on improving emotional and spiritual health, which affects our physical well-being. These modalities can include Reiki, Reflexology, Polarity Craniosacral, Kinesiology, Acupuncture, Acupressure, Chakra Balancing, Qi Gong, Vibrational Healing, Color Healing, and more. Generally, the energy is channeled to the receiver through the practitioner, removing blocks to a healthy energy flow within the body. A practitioner’s own energy can be part of the inputs to the client, and, based on their training and tools used.

Because many of these modalities are new to people in the United Sates, it can be challenging finding trained professionals when you are looking for alternative methods of healing. From what we can find, there are no agencies regulating most forms of energy work. While there are professional organizations that provide training, most of these modalities are not controlled or regulated by state or federal government.  Additionally, most associations related to energy work do not require education to be a member, although most provide insurance for some modalities and a code of conduct for members use of the site. Unfortunately, this leaves the public in a vulnerable position when seeking a trustworthy provider.

When searching for the practitioners and tools that best work for you, follow these guidelines:

  •  Get a referral from a friend, family member, or health professional you know and trust.
  • Ask for and verify practitioner’s education, experience, and licensure, if applicable.
  •  Look for an online presence.  Is there a website?  Do they have any connections to any professional groups, the chamber of commerce, or any other local organization?
  • Ask to stop by and meet them and see their practice space before scheduling an appointment.
  • Search the internet for the business and practitioner’s names and see what comes up.

The Energy Medicine Professional Association, which requires an education certificate to become insured with them, has a practitioner directory which can provide some guidance on finding a reputable practitioner.

The International Energetic Healing Association is made up of practitioners, businesses, students, and community members with a practitioner search page.  Note:  from what we can tell, they do not have a professional requirement.

The Healing Touch Professional Association provides information on its’ practitioners, as well as a thorough list of organizations that support energy workers.

Any good practitioner should be more than happy to provide you with information about their practice and their business.  Your well-being should be of the utmost importance!